Re: [RFC] page lock ordering and OCFS2

From: Zach Brown
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 15:36:25 EST

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 10:43:24AM -0700, Zach Brown wrote:
>
>>It introduces block_read_full_page() and truncate_inode_pages() derivatives
>>which understand the PG_fs_misc special case. It needs a few export patches to
>>the core, but the real burden is on OCFS2 to keep these derivatives up to date.
>
> The way you do it looks nice, but the exports aren't a big no-way. That
> stuff is far too internal to be exported. Either we can get Andrew to
> agree on moving those bits into the codepath for all filesystems or
> we need to do some hackery where every functions gets renamed to __function
> with an argument int cluster_aware and we have to functions inling them,
> one normal and one for cluster filesystems.

Yeah, I can certainly appreciate that line of reasoning. I'm happy to do that
work, but it'd be nice to get some assurance that it won't be wasted effort.
Andrew, is this a reasonable direction to take things in? We'd avoid the
exports by introducing some wrappers and helpers to the core that OCFS2 would
call..

- z