Re: sata_nv + SMP = broken?

From: Vladimir Lazarenko
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 15:47:33 EST

Yesterday I've tried launching various kernels on Ahtlon64 Dual-core X2 3800+ with MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI motherboard.

The results were a total catastrophica failure. As soon as I enable SMP in the kernel, the sata driver would randomly hang after a bit of disk activity.

Whenever apic is enabled, the system won't even be able to boot up completely, and will hang VERY soon. Whenever I disable apic, the system is able to bootup, but when the software mirror that I use will try to resync for 2-3-10 mins, it will throw up a message and freeze again.

Whenever I disable apic AND lapic, the system is able to bootup AND work, however after same 5-10 minutes it start spitting messages, which are somewhat different thou and don't hang the system completely but render it rather unusable anyway.

As soon as I disable SMP - everything works like a charm.

For what it's worth I too have seen this same problem. It happens when I use the stock Fedora kernels but not my custom compiled kernel. I'm not sure what I compiled differently but at the time I thought that something in the new kernel fixed it.

I only use kernel.org kernels, so perhaps there's a problem with the Fedora
kernel.

I too am running an Athlon X2 using sata_nv. I have an ASUS motherboard. But what I noticed was that the problem went away if I used 2 gigs of ram instead of 4 gigs. When you use the whole 4 gigs there is some memory mapping going on and I thought perhaps the problem was related to the sata_nv not liking the memory mapped over the 4gig barrier.

That's possible. Unfortunately I cannot verify this, since there are 2GB of
RAM in my box.

I remeber someone having a problem with sata_nv DMAing over 2GB of RAM,
so there may be something wrong with it.

That can very much be it, my box has 3G RAM.. I'll try checking that this Saturday (tomorrow hence), though I already ordered an RMA for the board :) Anyway, I can't live with 2G only, so that's not an option for me. Ordered one from nForce3, it's reported to be stable in the similar environment. Wonder if that's only nForce4 issue...

Cheers,
Vladimir