Re: 2.6.13.4 After increasing RAM, I'm getting Bad page state at prep_new_page

From: Steve Youngs
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 16:29:31 EST

* Hugh Dickins <hugh@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Steve Youngs wrote:
>>
>> A few days ago I increased my RAM from 0.5Gb to 3Gb and since then
>> I've been getting `Bad page state at prep_new_page' errors at odd
>> times. Here is a typical backtrace from my logs:
>>
>> Bad page state at prep_new_page (in process 'X', page c1f7bde0)
>> flags:0x80000004 mapping:00000000 mapcount:-262144 count:0

> The bad memory in question (the struct page at 0xc1f7bde0) is quite
> low down, just below 32MB. Would I be right to guess that that you
> inserted the new cards in such a way that the low memory is new RAM?

No. All the memory is new RAM. I originally had 2x256MB, and I
replaced those with 3x1GB. Sorry if the Subject header was a bit
misleading.

> I suggest you try taking out that lowest card, and see what happens
> then. Sometimes the kernel these days seems to find memory problems
> that memtest86 does not (how long did you run it? overnight?).

When I had posted the message I had only let it run through all tests
once. I have since let it run for about 18 hours, where it came up
with a single error (as reported in my reply to Ken).

> You could try sending me all your "Bad page state" messages,
> to check for correlations.

OK, I'll send those to you off-list.

Thanks very much, Hugh.

--