Re: sata_nv + SMP = broken?

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Sat Oct 22 2005 - 13:40:45 EST

Hi,

On Saturday, 22 of October 2005 11:15, Vladimir Lazarenko wrote:

> >>I too am running an Athlon X2 using sata_nv. I have an ASUS motherboard.
> >>But what I noticed was that the problem went away if I used 2 gigs of
> >>ram instead of 4 gigs. When you use the whole 4 gigs there is some
> >>memory mapping going on and I thought perhaps the problem was related to
> >>the sata_nv not liking the memory mapped over the 4gig barrier.
> >
> > That's possible. Unfortunately I cannot verify this, since there are 2GB of
> > RAM in my box.
> >
> > I remeber someone having a problem with sata_nv DMAing over 2GB of RAM,
> > so there may be something wrong with it.
>
> On a second thought. Why would that only occur in SMP mode? Since now
> the box is with 3G ram, no SMP and it works like a charm. If I enable
> SMP - the hell breaks loose.

It looks like an obscure issue. Apparently, to trigger it you need _both_
more that 2GB of RAM and SMP.

OTOH, today I played with Tyan Thunder K8WE, based on the Nvidia
CK8-04 chipset (not that much different to the regular Nforce4) in
a 2-processor configuration and 8GB of RAM, and it had no issues at all
(I installed SuSE 9.3 with the distro kernel on it). Anyway its SATA
controller is handled by the sata_nv driver, so the problem you describe
does not seem to be software-related.

I guess it's a hardware problem with the single-processor Nforce4 chipset
and a dual-core CPU. Still I have no idea what exactly it may be.

[Jeff, could you please say if this is a known problem?]

Greetings,
Rafael