Re: ieee1394: sbp2: sbp2util_node_write_no_wait failed

From: Michael Brade
Date: Mon Oct 24 2005 - 11:32:33 EST

On Monday 24 October 2005 16:03, John Stoffel wrote:
> Michael> I get the above message frequently while copying data (around
> Michael> 200000 mail files, 2GB) from my laptop to an external
> Michael> harddisk via ieee1394. The ieee system completely deadlocked
> Michael> with 2.6.13 without the chance to umount or reuse the
> Michael> device. Now I upgraded to 2.6.14-rc5 and I still get the
> Michael> error followed by a 10sec pause or so, but then the copying
> Michael> continues. I will have to check if it copied all data
> Michael> correctly, though.
Ok, update and good news: it did actually copy the files properly, reading and
checking worked without errors.

> One thing I suggest right off the bat is to make sure that firmware on
> your external enclosure is updated to the latest/greatest. Alot of
> vendors (esp those using the Prolific chipset) don't get it right
> initially.
Good guess and damn, yes, I've got the Icy Box IB-351-UE which has the
prolific chipset, I guess it's the (cursed) PL3507. [The IcyBox FAQ says:
IB-350/351/360UE Prolific (PL3507) - Agere (FW8028)]

However, I've read that they had problems in 2004 and that all new devices
(starting from October 2004) have the updated firmware already.

I have also found some of your posts from 2004 on lkml about the prolific
chipset, actually anything I found is mostly from 2004 :-/

So sorry for the dumb question, but do I check if I've got the newest firmware
without windows? I had a look at www.icybox.de but found no firmware for
ib-351, only for ib-350 and that one is from Dec 2004.

And even if I've got the newest firmware already, does the prolific stuff work
by now or should I chuck it out the window?

> Other than that, at least it's recovering better now and not locking
> up!
Yes, which makes the thing at least usable now :-) But it still takes forever
since it happens every 30-120 seconds. And just now the HD started making
*really* strange noises after I let it sit there idle for 10-20 minutes or
so. The I quickly read some files and it stopped. I'm scared of my data...

Thanks for your help,
--
Michael Brade; KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
|-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 3: The Next Generation in Desktop Experience