Re: new PCI quirk for Toshiba Satellite?

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Mon Oct 24 2005 - 13:22:49 EST

Jesse Barnes wrote:
On Friday, October 21, 2005 1:13 pm, Stefan Richter wrote:
Jesse Barnes wrote:
But then what about the dev->current_state = 4? Is that necessary?

It is necessary; at least if the workaround resides in ohci1394.
Otherwise the controller won't come back after a suspend/ resume
cycle. (See Rob's post from February,
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?m=110786495210243 ) Maybe there is
another way to do that if the workaround was moved to pci/quirks.c.

Having it all in the driver probably makes the most sense if we have to have code there anyway. Otherwise future users may have to check both places if things break again in another configuration.

No, better move it to pci/quirks.c. I may be wrong (again) but I think
everything of the workaround can be done there.

Furthermore, everything which belongs to the workaround should IMO be
enclosed by #ifdef SOME_SENSIBLE_MACRO. This avoids kernel bloat for
any target which is surely not a Toshiba laptop. Rob used an #if
defined(__i386__).

Checks against the compiler defined arch are usually wrong since users could be cross compiling, and I'd like to avoid an ifdef altogether.

Once the workaround is in pci/quirks.c, a single #ifdef would suffice
(if it is still of any benefit there).
--
Stefan Richter