Re: [patch 2.6.13 0/5] normalize calculations of rx_dropped

From: Ben Greear
Date: Mon Oct 24 2005 - 16:36:18 EST

John W. Linville wrote:
On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 02:53:31PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

For e.g. e1000, are we sure that packets dropped by hardware are accounted elsewhere?

The e100 and tg3 patches move the count of those frames to
rx_missed_errors. e1000 and ixgb were already counting them there in
addition to rx_discards, so they were simply removed from rx_discards.
3c59x was counting other errors in rx_discards, so they were removed
from that count.

Whatever became of this discussion? It seems that the e1000 driver
in 2.6.13.2 uses rx_errors as the total of all receive errors, while
the patch John was proposing broke them out into separate counters.

It doesn't matter too much to me either way, but I'd like for there to
be a precisely documented definition for the various net-stats so that
I can correctly show the values to user-space (I can certainly add rx_discards
to rx_errors for a 'total rx errors' value, but I need to know whether
rx_discards is already in rx_errors to keep from counting things twice.)

Jeff: Could you lay down the law somewhere in the Documentation/
directory and then let us start fixing any driver that does it differently?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>