Re: [Fwd: Re: Patch for inconsistent recording of block device statistics]

From: Mark Seger
Date: Tue Oct 25 2005 - 13:34:30 EST

yes, the patch worked. The general discussion was that the byte counter gets incremented when requests are queued, not when they're acted upon as is the case with the count of I/Os. As a result, the disk write numbers don't make any sense reporting impossibly high numbers (>100MB and as high as 450!) during some times and at other reporting zeros. The entire time, the I/O counts are happily showing what appear to be correct numbers. Here's a snapshot taken during a portion of a 2GB file file to /tmp.

# DISK SUMMARY (/sec)
# Reads R-Merged R-KBytes Writes W-Merged W-KBytes
14:26:38 0 0 0 0 0 0
14:26:39 0 0 0 90 4391 18368
14:26:40 0 0 0 577 12603 52696
14:26:41 0 0 0 563 107835 446728