Re: Call for PIIX4 chipset testers

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Oct 25 2005 - 13:36:33 EST

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Burton Windle and Paulo Marques wrote:

> $ dmesg -s 1000000 | grep PIIX4
> PCI quirk: region 0800-083f claimed by PIIX4 ACPI
> PCI quirk: region 0840-085f claimed by PIIX4 SMB
> PIIX4: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:07.1
> PIIX4: chipset revision 1
> PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

Ok, neither of you had any of those special quirks in use, just the
standard ACPI/SMB quirk that we've been aware of for a long time.

It's quite possible (and even likely) that they are mainly used on
laptops. The main reason to use those magic device resource quirks is
because of something like a simple ISA'ish special device like a LCD
brightness controller or special button hardware.

So for example, it would be interesting to see somebody with a Sony VAIO
laptop with the magic SonyPI device. That's exactly the kind of thing that
might be decoded by a southbridge quirk.

But keep the reports coming. Even a "nothing shows up" report is actually
rather encouraging in the sense that if I turn the printk() into a real
PCI resource setting quirk, at least it won't break anything on hardware
like yours ;)

Thanks,

Linus