Re: 2.6.14-rc5 e1000 and page allocation failures.. still

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Oct 25 2005 - 15:39:29 EST

Jesse Brandeburg wrote:
On 10/23/05, Robert Hancock <hancockr@xxxxxxx> wrote:

John Bäckstrand wrote:

Im seeing a massive amount of page allocation failures with 2.6.14-rc5,
and also earlier kernels, see "E1000 - page allocation failure - saga

[snip]

It looks like you have enough memory free - the problem is that the
driver is allocating a block of memory with order 3, which is 8 pages.
Quite likely there are not enough contiguous free pages to satisfy that.

That's an awful big buffer size for a packet - I assume you're using
jumbo frames or something? Ideally the driver and hardware should be
able to allocate a buffer for those packets in multiple chunks, but I
have no idea if this is possible.

the latest e1000 driver (6.2.15) from http://sf.net/projects/e1000
fixes this by using multiple descriptors for jumbo frames, therefore
only doing order 0 (single page) page allocations.

let us know how it goes.

BTW why is this so much more common with recent kernels?

I don't know why it's more common, but I agree that it seems so. I have speculated that it may be related to 4k stack, but I can't even generate a credible wild-ass guess on that, much less find any evidence, so I doubt that's much if any correlation.

Getting memory a page at a time is ugly, but it will probably work just fine.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)