Re: X unkillable in R state sometimes on startx , /proc/sysrq-trigger T output attached

From: Alessandro Suardi
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 08:20:30 EST

On 10/26/05, Dave Airlie <airlied@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Your getting an X hang which is usually a DRM/AGP or X configuartion problems..
> > >
> > > Please send me your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log after a hang..
> > >
> > > did it work with any kernel before? and suddenly break recently?
> >
> > It's intermittent. It looks like more recent kernels have a tendency
> > to trigger it more easily - in fact I just happened to have another
> > occurrence, this time without even loading the acx driver, just
> >
> > 1. boot
> > 2. login as non-root
> > 3. startx
> >
> > but it works most times.
> >
> > I lied however - the keyboard is _not_ dead, despite not lighting
> > the CapsLock led, and I can Alt-SysRQ-<x>.
> >
> > Luckily, I have both the current working Xorg.0.log and the one
> > coming from the hang. I'm attaching both, and my xorg.conf.
> >

> Wierd it all looks okay to me (diffing the Xorg logs gives nothing
> majorly different...)...
>
> What desktop are you runnig on top of X? does it have any 3D or OpenGL
> components in it?

Desktop is FC4 gnome-desktop-2.10.0-5. I don't think I have
anything fancy in it, apart from the mini-icons on the top panel
which include oldies (Evolution, Mozilla) and actually used
stuff (Firefox, gnome-terminal, Thunderbird, Gaim, and the
volume control).

> if you just run X, does it always start to the X cursor without hanging..

Will try. Note however, when I experience the problem X doesn't
really "hang" - it spins in CPU.

> Try disabling pre-empt also.. if you get a chance..

Will also build no-preempt kernels in the near future.

> I've got the same chip on an evaluation card in my PC at the moment,
> and I've been running the same X 6.8.2 on it for a while with no
> issues on the latest kernels..

For that matter, I'm running it now without issues... it
seems to get in the weird state only on startup.

Thanks ! Ciao,

--alessandro

"All it takes is one decision
A lot of guts, a little vision to wave