Re: [2.6.14-rc? on x86-64] Total machine freeze

From: Paolo Ornati
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 14:56:29 EST

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:20:44 +1000
Dave Airlie <airlied@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > 2.6.14-rc[45] works fine here, usually. But sometimes (~2 times in a
> > week) I get an hard-freeze:
> > Sys-RQ doesn't work
> > machine doesn't reply to ping / ssh
> > nothing in the logs
> >
> > Seems like it loops somewhere with interrupt disabled... but I don't
> > know.
> >
> Does it get into X and crash?, did it do it with 2.6.13?

I got every crash under X so far (but I run X all the time so I can't
tell if it is related to X or not).

The crash doesn't happen when X starts, it happens at RANDOM times,
without any particular workload. Now it's some days that I don't see
the crash (from when I updated to 2.6.14-rc5-gd475f3f4)... so five days
without crash. I'm waiting to see if it happens again.

The last kernel that crashed was 2.6.14-rc5-g93918e9a.

I don't remember to have seen this crash with 2.6.13... so I suppose
2.6.13 is OK.

> Do you have any "ricer" X options turned on like AGPFastWrite..

No.

$ grep "AGP Fast" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) RADEON(0): AGP Fast Write disabled by default

I have other issues with AGP Fast Write: if it is DISABLED in BIOS I
can enable it in Xorg config without problems. If it's enabled in BIOS
and I enable it in Xorg config I get this:
when X starts the screen goes in SUSPEND mode and X eats all
the CPU (I've seen this whith ssh). X is unkillable and I
cannot debug it with gdb... only a reboot kills it! But this is
another issue.

The current AGP Fast Write config is:
- enabled in BIOS (don't ask me why...)
- disabled in xorg.conf