Re: kernel performance update - 2.6.14

From: jmerkey
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 23:35:22 EST

jmerkey wrote:

Nick Piggin wrote:

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

Verified. These numbers reflect my measurements as well. I have not moved off 2.6.9 to newer kernels on shipping products due to these issues. There are also serious stability issues as well, though 2.6.14 seems a little better than than previous kernels. Jeff

These issues aren't going to fix themselves. Did you investigate
any of the performance or (more importantly) stability problems?

Added a little more clarification.

Jeff

Yes I did. The list wasn't too long. I had problems with RCU messages and irq warn messages at very high loads and init respawning itself subjected to loads > 369 MB/S to the disk channels on 2.6.13. Performance was down on disk I/O [vs.] 2.6.9. I did not investigate the BIO fixes but something changed there. Theres also some memory problems with corruption somewhere in the 2.6.14 (during module unload and shutdown).

Jeff