Re: kernel performance update - 2.6.14

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sat Oct 29 2005 - 03:37:23 EST

jmerkey wrote:

Yes I did. The list wasn't too long. I had problems with RCU messages and irq warn messages at very high loads and init respawning itself subjected to loads > 369 MB/S to the disk channels on 2.6.13. Performance was down on disk I/O [vs.] 2.6.9. I did not investigate the BIO fixes but something changed there. Theres also some memory problems with corruption somewhere in the 2.6.14 (during module unload and shutdown).

Well that doesn't sound too good. It would be good if you could document
and report each problem - the messages, workload, kernel config and any
patches used, etc. And post them to lkml. Hopefully they can get sorted
out.

Thanks,
Nick

--