Re: [git patches] 2.6.x libata updates

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sat Oct 29 2005 - 17:26:07 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >
> > Even so, it's easy, to I'll ask him to test 2.6.14, 2.6.14-git1, and
> > (tonight's upcoming) 2.6.14-git2 (with my latest pull included) to see if
> > anything breaks.
>
> Side note: one of the downsides of the new "merge lots of stuff early in
> the development series" approach is that the first few daily snapshots end
> up being _huge_.
>
> So the -git1 and -git2 patches are/will be very big indeed.
>
> For example, patch-2.6.14-git1 literally ended up being a megabyte
> compressed. Right now my diff to 2.6.14 (after just two days) is 1.6MB
> compressed.

However there's usually little overlap between the subsystems trees - with
a net update, a USB update, a SCSI update and an ia64 update it's usually
pretty obvious which one caused a particular regression.

And given that the size of each individual subsystem update is unaltered,
it doesn't really matter whether or not they all came on the same day.

The individual -mm-only patches tend to be more scattered around the tree,
which is why I send them as batches of 100-200 every couple of days: to get
a bit of separation in the -git snapshots. This hasn't actually proven to
be very useful, though.