Fwd: Odd problems with cdrom not finding media

From: Alex Hsia
Date: Sat Oct 29 2005 - 20:35:10 EST

Greets everyone,

I am running into an odd problem with a NEC-3520AW (firmware 3.06)
attached to a Promise Ultra TX2 100 pci card (pdc20268 kernel driver).
DVD's and DVD-R's seem to be recognized fine when inserted; however
CDs (pressed, cdr, cdrw, audio) are not. I always end up with a
message to effect of "No media found" when trying to use those.

I googled for quite a bit, but wasn't able to narrow the problem
down. I don't know if it is the promise driver or something in the
ide-cd module. A fair bit of my log looks like the following after
trying various mounting operations.

cdrom: open failed.
cdrom_pc_intr, write: dev hdf: flags = REQ_STARTED REQ_PC REQ_QUIET
sector 0, nr/cnr 0/0
bio 00000000, biotail 00000000, buffer 00000000, data 00000000, len 0
cdb: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
hdf: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason = 0xd0)
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!

I am running vanilla-2.6.14-rc2 no enhancements. The drive itself
worked fine in another computer. Any ideas on where to go hunting?
I can provide lots of info if needed, just give me a idea of what.

Thanks,

-A

Please cc me as I am not subscribed to lkml