Re: x86_64: 2.6.14 with NUMA panics at boot

From: Bob Picco
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 20:44:31 EST

Added Matt to cc:
Andi Kleen wrote: [Sun Oct 30 2005, 09:12:17PM EST]
> On Monday 31 October 2005 01:17, Bob Picco wrote:
>
> > This is a slightly modified patch I used on x86_64 for EXTREME testing. The
> > original 2.6.13-rc1-mhp1 patch didn't apply cleanly against 2.6.14. It will
> > apply with this untested patch. The patch needs to have arch_sparse_init
> > which is only active for SPARSEMEM. This patch was just for testing EXTREME
> > on x86_64 NUMA and needs review.
> >
> > I think the bootmem allocator is being used before initialized. This
> > wouldn't have happened before SPARSEMEM_EXTREME became the default.
> >
> > If you feel my analysis is correct, I'll generate a cleaner patch and
> > test on my 4 way.
>
> Ok the question is - why did nobody submit this patch in time? When
> sparse was merged I assumed folks would actually test and maintain
> it. But that doesn't seem to be the case? Somewhat surprising.
Well I did post it on lhms mailing list. However it's incomplete because
it doesn't address !NUMA. I used it specifically for looking at performance
regression as a result of SPARSEMEM_EXTREME which we were analyzing at that
time. It wasn't intended for inclusion. Also EXTREME came later in the
initial SPARSEMEM submission to address very sparse arch platforms. So I think
it slipped by us; at least me.

> I personally don't care much about sparsemem right now because it doesn't have
> any advantage and if it's unmaintained would consider to mark it
> CONFIG_BROKEN. That's simply because we can't have highly experimental
> CONFIGs in a production kernel that unsuspecting users can just set and break
> their configuration.
>
> Dave, is there someone in charge for sparsemem on x86-64?
Well I think Matt (matthew.e.tolentino@xxxxxxxxx) is maintaining but could be
wrong. I'll pick it up should Matt not have the time or no other volunteer
come forward.

> -Andi
bob