Re: 4GB memory and Intel Dual-Core system

From: Alejandro Bonilla Beeche
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 21:40:17 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

On Iau, 2005-10-27 at 18:20 -0400, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:

Dude, again. This has nothing to do with the CPU. The arch IA32 is simply
_not_ made for 4GB, so, some motherboards manufacturers make a workaround like

Wrong IA-32 supports more than 4Gb in PAE 36bit physical 32bit virtual
mode and has done since the Preventium Pro

I guess you are right and wrong. The architecture has the limitation, the chipset as well and the OS. According to this document, it is the fault of the architecture as well as it requires to support addressing which is not available *stock*, only several other providers have added such "mapping" to get a better use of the memory.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/cs-010458.htm

I really don't want to argue on who knows more or less, just want to clarify the fact that IA32 will have this problem normally and that the chipsets that go with it also will make this noticeable.

If you don't believe me, contact the guys who built the Arch which I think are the ones that made the document?

.Alejandro