Re: ADI Blackfin porting for kernel-2.6.13

From: Robin Getz
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 10:48:51 EST

On Sat 10/22/2005, Jacques asked:
Does this patch is only for Blackfin processor or it add some support for fusiv [1] communications processor that are in residential Gateway ?

The Blackfin/uClinux 2.6.x patch which was prepared (and will be maintained) by a separate team(1) who is not working on any fusiv processors (which are MIPS-based).

If no, do you know if analog plans to realease the linux 2.4/2.6 modification that have been made in order to support these processors ?

Not sure - Since the two groups are separate, no one on the team here knows the plans of the Fusiv team.

IRRC some Sagem residential Gateways (will) run on Linux OS and the users sould be able ask for the GPL code.

So, the best place to go would be to Sagem (or any company shipping a product with Embedded Linux/uClinux). Since they are responsible for distributing the binary, it is their responsibility to make the source released under GPL or derived from previously GPL'ed software available.

If you received a product from Sagem, which you believe includes GPL'ed software - call them and ask for the source:
http://www.sagem.com/index.php?id=445&L=0

If you received a development kit, or other reference design from ADI, which you believe includes GPL'ed software, call them and ask for the source:
http://www.analog.com/salesdir/continent.asp

Thanks
-Robin

<shameless plug>
(1)There is a small group of open source developers inside of ADI, focusing on the support of the Blackfin processor with various open source projects. We have people dedicated to:
- the FSF's Toolchain (gcc, gdb, binutils) where our patches have
been accepted into the mainline projects (still working on the
last kinks gdb pthreads support).
- Das U-Boot as our chip initialization and bootloader. Booting from the
network is very powerful in many embedded environments.
- the GNU/uClinux kernel (Luke's recent patch for 2.6.14), where end
products are beginning to ship in volume.
- open source hardware design - free (speech) software isn't any good
on closed hardware. All of our schematics, gerbers, PCB manufacturing
files are released under the GPL, and are mostly avalible from
Digikey, at sub $225 price points.
- Simulation support with Skyeye
http://gro.clinux.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=2619

Our team completely embraces the open source model (release early, release often) - using open source tools (GForge, Tinderbox, cvs, dokuwiki), publishing everything we do/understand on the web(2). We have been responsible for contributions in other open source projects:
- helped port Linux Test Project (LTP) so it could run on a
uClinux/uclibc/no-mmu environment
- helped port Speex to the Blackfin, to run a completely open
source embedded VoIP phone, based on Linphone.
- helping update uClinux-dist to other main-line projects.
- others, but I am starting to get a little wordy.

The combination of Blackfin/uClinux is pretty compelling - the hardware(3) has a pretty good span of price(as low as $4.95)/performance(BF561 include Dual Core, 600MHz each) & I won't go into the benefits of uClinux and open source here :)

If anyone is interested in looking at things running on real hardware, I do have a limited amount of hardware I can lend people for poking/porting. Some of the things we have working are pretty cool[4]. Send me a private email.

</shameless plug>

[2]http://blackfin.uclinux.org
[2]http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org
[2]http://cvs.blackfin.uclinux.org