Re: Notifier chains are unsafe

From: Chandra Seetharaman
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 15:20:37 EST

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 10:24 -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
>
> > > #define notifier_block_enable(b) set_wmb((b)->enabled, 1)
> > > #define notifier_block_disable(b) set_wmb((b)->enabled, 0)
> >
> > I am not getting the complete picture. So, in unregister we would just
> > disable and never delete the notifier_block ? Or
> > notifier_block_enable/disable will be used by external entities
> > directly ?
>
> Register and unregister will continue to work as before, requiring a
> process context and the ability to sleep. notifier_block_enable/disable
> should be used when:
>
> a callout wants to disable itself as it is running, or
>
> someone running in an atomic context wants to enable or disable
> a callout.
>
> In the first case, unregister can't be used because it would hang. In the
> second case, register/unregister can't be used because they need to be
> able to sleep.
>
> In both cases the notifier block would have to be registered beforehand
> and unregistered later.

I understand. Thanks for the explanation. I like the option below better
(no new interface).

> > > It occurred to me that there _is_ a way to do unregister for atomic chains
> > > without blocking. Add to struct notifier_head
> > >
> > > atomic_t num_callers;
> > >
> > > Then in notifier_call_chain, do atomic_inc(&nh->num_callers) at the start
> > > and atomic_dec(&nh->num_callers) at the end. Finally, make unregister do
> > > this:
> > >
> > > int notifier_chain_unregister(struct notifier_head *nh,
> > > struct notifier_block *n)
> > > {
> > > if (nh->type == ATOMIC_NOTIFIER) {
> > > spin_lock(nh->lock);
> > > list_del(&n->node);
> > > smp_mb();
> > > while (atomic_read(&nh->num_callers) > 0)
> > > cpu_relax();
> > > spin_unlock(nh->lock);
> > > } else {
> > > }
> > > return 0;
> > > }
> >
> > But, how is the list protected in call_chain (will you be holding the
> > lock in call_chain() while incrementing the atomic variable).
>
> No; the list _won't_ be protected in call_chain. It will be possible to
> unregister a callout while the chain is in use. That's how the RCU
> approach works -- it uses no read locks, only write locks.

but, list_del poisons the next pointer which is not good for a reader
that is walking through the list, we have to use list_del_rcu instead.

Also, do you think we have to use _rcu versions of list traversal
functions in call_chain ?