Re: Linux 2.6.14 ehci-hcd hangs machine

From: David Brownell
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 15:29:18 EST

On Tuesday 01 November 2005 3:23 am, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> Yeah, the symptoms are really weird. Let me rehash the whole history:
> First, we did some testing with 2.6.14-rc4, _with_ the patch and the
> 'handoff' cmd option and it worked. Then, several boots later, I noticed
> that it started hanging itself again at the same position not while rebooting
> but at _initial_ boot in the morning. ...

So you're saying your hardware doesn't act consistently.
Is there a BIOS update you can try? The failure sure seems
to be board-specific.

> ... 2.6.13, in contrast, boots just fine. Hope
> that helps,

Well that's news, and not mentioned in the bug report; in fact, you
said explicitly that it _never_ worked on earlier kernels (see your
comment #2).

This means you could use "git bisect" to point a finger at a patch that,
if it doesn't actually cause the problem, at least surfaces a latent bug
in other code. Could you please try that?

I'm starting to suspect some IRQ setup problem here; those are classically
issues in ACPI code, even when the breakage shows only with USB.

- Dave