Re: Would I be violating the GPL?

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 15:46:28 EST

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 09:43 -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> Alan Cox and others have publicly stated that drivers, if complied stand
> alone with NO DEPENDENCIES ON KERNEL HEADERS (i.e. they do not
> incorporate in any way any kernel headers or source code tagged GPL)

can you give a reference to that? I can't imagine Alan saying that
(probably the negative of the opposite).. since even without using any
kernel headers you can be a derived work (when/how/what is up to
lawyers, but I assume you can agree that it is possible to create a
kernel module that is a derived work even without the condition you
describe) and in that case it HAS to be GPL. Alan isn't alone in the
position to make that exception, you'd need permission from all kernel
authors, but I also find it sort of hard to believe he said that.