Re: First steps towards making NO_IRQ a generic concept

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 11:20:36 EST

* Matthew Wilcox <matthew@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 04:44:39PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > + if (irq >= NR_IRQS)
> > > + return;
> >
> > hm, why not start with the -1 value for PCI_NO_IRQ, instead of 0:
> >
> > > +#define PCI_NO_IRQ 0
> >
> > and be done with it.
>
> There's a number of drivers which check "if (!irq) ...". For example:
>
> drivers/net/3c523.c: if ((irq && irq != dev->irq) ||
> drivers/net/atarilance.c: if (!irq) {
> drivers/net/cs89x0.c: if (!dev->irq)
> drivers/net/depca.c: if (!dev->irq) {
> drivers/net/eexpress.c: if (!dev->irq || !irqrmap[dev->irq])
> drivers/net/ewrk3.c: if (!dev->irq) {
> drivers/net/ibmlana.c: return (base != 0 || irq != 0) ? -ENXIO
> : -ENODE
> drivers/net/lasi_82596.c: if (!dev->irq) {
> drivers/net/ne-h8300.c: if (! dev->irq) {
> drivers/net/ne.c: if (! dev->irq) {
> drivers/net/ni52.c: if(!dev->irq)
> drivers/net/ni65.c: if(!dev->irq)
> drivers/net/pcnet32.c: if (!dev->irq) {
>
> ... and that's just drivers/net, and that doesn't include other ways
> for checking if irq is not 0, and doesn't include irqs referred to
> under different names not including the string 'irq'. Against that,
> I know not all of these are PCI drivers. So we need to spend some time
> checking drivers for this assumption.
>
> We also need to figure out what to do with non-PCI drivers. Some of
> them need more work than others to work with a -1 NO_IRQ. There's
> also plenty of janitorial work with people misusing the
> probe_irq_off() interface.

ok, understood. I'm wondering, why is there any need to do a PCI_NO_IRQ?
Why not just a generic NO_IRQ. It's not like we can or want to make them
different in the future. The interrupt vector number is a generic thing
that attaches to the platform via request_irq() - there is nothing 'PCI'
about it. So the PCI layer shouldnt pretend it has its own IRQ
abstraction - the two are forcibly joined. The same goes for
pci_valid_irq() - we should only have valid_irq(). Am i missing
anything?

> > plus, shouldnt this go into -mm first, since it clearly affects some
> > drivers? Why into Linus' tree immediately?
>
> With the way I'm staging it, it shouldn't affect drivers. The only
> exception was the pcmcia driver that defined its own NO_IRQ macro. So
> I converted that one to the new preferred way to check the irq is
> unset.

ok. Your transition path looks safe to me.

Ingo