Re: [patch] swapin rlimit

From: Paul Jackson
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 05:05:25 EST

Arjan wrote:
> doing this from userspace is tricky; what if the task dies of natural
> causes and the pid gets reused, between the time the userspace app reads
> the value and the time it decides the time is up and time for a kill....
> (and on a busy server that can be quite a bit of time)

If pids are being reused within seconds of their being freed up,
then the batch managers running on the big HPC systems I care
about are so screwed it isn't even funny. They depend heavily
on being able to identify the task pids in a job and then doing
something to those tasks (suspend, kill, gather stats, ...).

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability