Re: New (now current development process)

From: Tim Bird
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 18:33:25 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Friday 04 November 2005 23:08, Tim Bird wrote:
>
>>starting in about April of next year.
>
> Any particular reason it's taking so long? Would it perhaps be possible
> to do a subset (e.g. only a single architecture and less configs) sooner?
> If the problem is writing the necessary scripts, I'm sure some people
> (e.g. M. Bligh or Al Viro) have already written some that do
> at least the automated building and would be happy to
> share them.

The main reason it's taking so long is that it's
a background task for everyone working on it.
(Basically, me and one guy at NEC. ;-)
We've gotten sidetracked with lab setup issues
(signing a lease for office space, processing
paperwork for board donations, etc. etc.)
But I can run some tests now on a few different
platforms just on my desk.

I had hoped to have at least some preliminary
results by the end of November, with a bigger
call for help inside the forum to finish up
something big and professional-looking in April.
However, maybe I can cobble together some
things, and let people (both in and out of
the forum) look at the preliminary
results sooner.

I'll see what I can do by the end of November.

Thanks for the encouragement.
-- Tim