Re: 3ware 9550SX problems - mke2fs incredibly slow writing last thirdof inode tables

From: Jeff V. Merkey
Date: Sat Nov 05 2005 - 12:27:57 EST

Alex Bligh - linux-kernel wrote:

Adam,

All seems to go well until I try and do mke2fs. This appears to work,
and tries to write the inode tables. However, at (about) 3400 inodes
(of 11176), it slows to a crawl, writing one table every 10 seconds.
strace shows it is still running, and no errors are being reported.
However, it seems very sick.

Do you have cache turned on or off? If it's off, try turning it on.

On. I started again (deleted the units etc.) which I'd done before.
I am not sure quite what I did different this time. Now I get 270Mb/s
on dbench, 100Mb/s (approx) on a solid contiguous write (dd), which
is well into the field of uninspiring but not as daft as 7Mb/s. I had
rather expected that h/w RAID 5 would give me faster reads, and only
slightly degraded writes, compared to a single disk of the same type
plugged into the motherboard SATA.

However, dbench puts the (dual opteron 275) machine into 99% system
state. Is that normal? Surely it should be in i/o wait.

I /think/ what had happened is this: When I press F8 to exit the
BIOS, it did not initialize the array (this is in accordance with the
manual, it being deferred). Despite leaving the machine idle in the O/S
for 2 days, it didn't start initializing the array. Running the mkfs
started the initialization (would that make sense)? The second time
I ran mkfs, I may have already (somehow) triggered it to start earlier.

I shall try and work out some soak test I can run on it this w/e.

This is what I reported earlier and is the same behavior I am seeing on he 9500. I don't think its related
to the firmwae, but something in the driver because I can reproduce it on 8000 series controllers as well.
What's common between the two is it's on a 2.6.9 kernel with the drivers. Eventually, the init proceeds
and completes, but it's related to the INIT state not getting tripped into running.

Jeff

--
Alex Bligh