Re: Whys and hows of initrds

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 12:50:19 EST

grfgguvf@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,
I don't know if the LKML is a technical kernel development list or a
newbie support list (or both?) so maybe I'm posting to the wrong
place.

You likely are.. and this is also quite distribution specific so a distribution support forum would likely be a better place to ask.

Whether or not you need an initrd depends on whether or not drivers needed to mount the root filesystem are compiled as modules or built into the kernel. If they are all built in then you shouldn't really need an initrd. However distributions usually use it so that the kernel can be the same for all systems and simply load the correct modules.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx