Re: [2.6 patch] GIT trivial tree

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 12:05:38 EST

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/bunk/trivial.git

Please don't try to make me update over http. Either point to master
(which is not accessible by all), or point to git://git.kernel.org/. Or do
both..

And if you do the latter (or, in fact, rsync or http for others), please
make sure that you delay your "please pull" sufficiently that the contents
have actually mirrored out, because otherwise, if the mail comes in while
I'm in merging mode (like right now), and I try to pull, I may not have
anything to pull at all just because it hasn't mirrored out yet.

A side comment (this was true with BK too): I prefer not to see
unnecessary two-way merges, since that just makes the history much
messier. So

> Adrian Bunk:
> Merge with http://www.kernel.org/.../torvalds/linux-2.6.git

is _probably_ unnecessary, since by definition the "trivial" tree should
basically never have anything that could cause clashes (so if I just pull
on it, it should merge fine even without you doing the merge the other
way).

Anyway, I pulled, but now we have two merges instead of one, which is kind
of pointless and unnecessary history complexity.

Linus