Re: Database regression due to scheduler changes ?

From: Anton Blanchard
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 20:17:07 EST

Hi Nick,

> I would also take a look at removing SD_WAKE_IDLE from the flags.
> This flag should make balancing more aggressive, but it can have
> problems when applied to a NUMA domain due to too much task
> movement.

I was wondering how ppc64 ended up with different parameters in the NODE
definitions (added SD_BALANCE_NEWIDLE and SD_WAKE_IDLE) and it looks
like it was Andrew :)

http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/11/2/205

It looks like balancing was not agressive enough on his workload too.
Im a bit uneasy with only ppc64 having the two flags though.

Im also considering adding balance on fork for ppc64, it seems like a
lot of people like to run stream like benchmarks and Im getting tired of
telling them to lock their threads down to cpus.

Anton