Compatible fstat()

From: linux-os (Dick Johnson)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 10:48:15 EST

Hello,

The Linux fstat() doesn't return any information number of blocks,
or the byte-length of a physical hard disk.

Device name : /dev/hda
Device st_dev : 00000301
Device st_rdev : 00000300
Device st_size : 0
Device st_blocks : 0
Device st_blksize : 4096
Device name : /dev/sda
Device st_dev : 00000301
Device st_rdev : 00000800
Device st_size : 0
Device st_blocks : 0
Device st_blksize : 4096
Device name : /dev/sdb
Device st_dev : 00000301
Device st_rdev : 00000810
Device st_size : 0
Device st_blocks : 0
Device st_blksize : 4096
Device name : /dev/sdc
Device st_dev : 00000301
Device st_rdev : 00000820
Device st_size : 0
Device st_blocks : 0
Device st_blksize : 4096

So, in a PORTABLE way, how do I find the block device with a
certain size, perhaps even the largest or smallest? I need to
have a customer plug in an external drive (USB) and be able
to determine if it's big enough for a raw-data write (no
file-system).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.13.4 on an i686 machine (5589.55 BogoMips).
Warning : 98.36% of all statistics are fiction.
.

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to DeliveryErrors@xxxxxxxxxxxx - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

Thank you.