Re: Creating new System.map with modules symbol info

From: Chris Largret
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 17:08:38 EST

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 16:45 -0500, Adayadil Thomas wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Usage of mksysmap is --
> mksysmap vmlinux System.map
>
> How do I specify the module which is not included in the kernel ?
> Is that possible ?

you could do:

nm -n /path/to/module.ko | grep -v '\( [aUw] \)\|\(__crc_\)\|\( \
$[adt]\)'>/path/to/module.map

This is essentially what mksysmap does, except with the ability to
define 'nm' locations. This isn't really a file that could be used in
place of the System.map file though. At least not if I understand the
purpose of it.

The System.map file is used to keep track of symbols in the kernel. I
believe the module symbols can be traced with the aid of some of the
debug kernel configuration options.

--
Chris Largret <http://daga.dyndns.org>