Re: [RFC] sys_punchhole()

From: Anton Altaparmakov
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 18:55:01 EST

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 15:32 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Badari Pulavarty <pbadari@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > We discussed this in madvise(REMOVE) thread - to add support
> > > for sys_punchhole(fd, offset, len) to complete the functionality
> > > (in the future).
> > >
> > > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-mm&m=113036713810002&w=2
> > >
> > > What I am wondering is, should I invest time now to do it ?
> >
> > I haven't even heard anyone mention a need for this in the past 1-2 years.
> >
> > > Or wait till need arises ?
> >
> > A long wait, I suspect..
> >

> Okay. I guess, I will wait till someone needs it.
>
> I am just trying to increase my chances of "getting my madvise(REMOVE)
> patch into mainline" :)

It may be worth asking the Samba people if they want it given that Windows
has such a function (but it is not a syscall, it is a fsctl -
FSCTL_SET_ZERO_DATA), so Samba may want to have it, too...

And in case you care, NTFS already has such functionality (currently only
used in error handling) and implementing the sys_punchole() fs-specific
function for ntfs will therefore be trivial...

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/