Re: CM8738 audio hampering while playing video on G450 PCI graphiccard

From: Lee Revell
Date: Sat Nov 12 2005 - 01:21:59 EST

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 22:00 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 02:41 +0100, Mark Hurenkamp wrote:
> > Now whenever there's a lot of activety (like scrolling down when I'm
> > browsing on a news site like slashdot, or playing video) on the G450 (both in
> > accelerated mode, as well as in unaccelerated framebuffer mode), the audio
> > (onboard CMedia) starts to hamper. This happens regardless wether I'm using
> > alsa, or oss. (using mplayer to play an mp3, but also with DivX movies
> > the same problem occurs).
>
> Sounds like a "singing capacitor". Check the LKML archives.

Never mind, Alan is probably right. If disabling PCIRetry does not work
you can also try Option "NoAccel" (not a viable way to run, just to
confirm the problem).

WRT singing capacitors, it does seem to be an increasing problem:

http://news.com.com/PCs+plagued+by+bad
+capacitors/2100-1041_3-5942647.html?tag=nefd.lede

The difference is that singing capacitors will cause noise in the audio,
while PCI stalls of the type Alan described will cause
dropouts/stuttering.

Lee