Via VT6240 Sata problem

From: Yves Kurz
Date: Sat Nov 12 2005 - 19:12:49 EST

Hello Linux users and developers

I've got a new PC (Asus Pundit p2-ae2) with an Via VT6420 SATA
controller that is connected to a Maxtor 6L200MO hard disk. The problem
is, that no distribution is able to see the disk. I was trying Ubuntu
(hoary/breezy i386 and amd64), Suse 10 eval i386, the Debian Etch Beta 1
installer and I've got always time the same result.

Part of the log from the boot process (Ubuntu Breezy Amd64)
SCSI subsystem initialized
libata version 1.11 loaded.
sata_via version 1.1
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0f.0[B] -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
PCI: Via IRQ fixup for 0000:00:0f.0 from 10 to 4
sata_via(0000:00:0f.0): SATA master/slave not supported (0xa2)
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:0f.0 disabled
sata_via: probe of 0000:00:0f.0 failed with error -5
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2

I tried several kernel parameters like pci=noacpi acpi=off noacpi...
etc. but that did not change anything. The bios also doesn't provide a
compatibility mode switch for the sata controller.

So I had a look at the sources of sata_via.c to see what this SATA
master/slave means. Well it's not clear to me from the source why I get
the not supported message. There is just one device attached which I
can't configure in any way.
What can I do to make Linux find my harddisk? Am I doing something
wrong?

Thanks

Yves

BTW: Could you please CC me? I'm not subscribed to the list.