Re: AW: Locking md device and system for several seconds

From: Philippe Pegon
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 07:01:37 EST

Miro Dietiker, MD Systems wrote:
:-)

Can you check which IO scheduler the drives are using, try different
schedulers, and see if it makes a different.

there was [anticipatory] selected.

ORIGINAL:
tiger:~# grep . /sys/block/*/queue/scheduler
/sys/block/fd0/queue/scheduler:noop [anticipatory] deadline cfq
/sys/block/hdd/queue/scheduler:noop [anticipatory] deadline cfq
/sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler:noop [anticipatory] deadline cfq
/sys/block/sdb/queue/scheduler:noop [anticipatory] deadline cfq

NEW:
tiger:~# grep . /sys/block/*/queue/scheduler
/sys/block/fd0/queue/scheduler:noop anticipatory deadline [cfq]
/sys/block/hdd/queue/scheduler:noop anticipatory deadline [cfq]
/sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler:noop anticipatory deadline [cfq]
/sys/block/sdb/queue/scheduler:noop anticipatory deadline [cfq]

System seems to work, but I need some testing time to check that
behaviour. (Any suggestion of a testing tool to generate disk
traffic and reporting response-times and throughput?)

Which is the right way / position on bootup to set this field
permanent to this value and what exactly did I change with this
modification? (Performance issues?)
I'm using debian..

you can use the kernel argument elevator=cfq in your lilo or grub boot config file.

you can read this article about cfq :

http://lwn.net/Articles/143474/

for information, it seems cfq is used in the default kernel in some distributions.

I also need to check this on the other (identical) machines.

Thanks! Miro Dietiker

--
Philippe Pegon