Re: 2.6.9 reporting 1 Gigabyte/second throughput on bio's, timer skew possible?

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 14:35:12 EST

On Sat, Nov 12 2005, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> Jens Axboe wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Nov 11 2005, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> >

> >>I have allocated 393,216 bio buffers I statically maintain in a chain
> >>and am running the dsfs file system with 3 x gigabit links fully
> >>saturated. meta-data
> >>increases the write sizes to 720 MB/Second on dual 9500 controllers with
> >>8 drives each (total of 16) 7200 RPM Drives. I am seeing some
> >>congestion and bursting on the bio chains as they are submitted.
> >>

> >16 disks on 2 controllers, I'm 100% sure they are lots of people
> >pushing 2.6 much further than that! I wouldn't evne call that a big
> >setup.
> >

> Probably not for this type of application.
>

> >>DSFS dynamically generates html status files form within the file
> >>system. When the system gets somewhat behind, I am seeing bursts > 1
> >>GB/Second which exceeds the theoretical limit of the bus. I have a
> >>timer function that runs every second and profiles the I/O throughput
> >>created by DSFS with bio submissions and captured packets. I am asking
> >>if there is clock skew at these data rates with use of the timer
> >>functions. The system appears to be sustaining 1GB/Second throughput on
> >>dual controllers. I have verified through data rates the system is
> >>sustaining 800 megabytes/second with these 1GB/S bursts. I am curious
> >>if there is potentially timer skew at these higher rates since I am
> >>having a hard time accepting that I can push 1GB/S through a bus rated
> >>at only 850 MB/S for DMA based transfers. The unit is accessible by
> >>

> >Note that the linux io stats accounting in 2.6.9 accounts queued io, not
> >io completions. So it's quite possible to have burst rates > bus speeds
> >for async io. 2.6.15-rc1 change this.
> >

> So you are willing to log into the unit and validate these numbers? I
> would like for an
> someone other than me to validate I am seeing these rates.

If you average the bandwidth over a time long enough to eliminate the
bursty queueing rates, your average rage should drop to what the
hardware can actually do. Or dig out the patch from 2.6.15-rc1 for
ll_rw_blk.c and apply it to 2.6.9, find it here:

http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=d72d904a5367ad4ca3f2c9a2ce8c3a68f0b28bf0;hp=d83c671fb7023f69a9582e622d01525054f23b66

--
Jens Axboe