Re: 2.6.9 reporting 1 Gigabyte/second throughput on bio's, timerskew possible?

From: jmerkey
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 16:26:58 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:

On Sat, Nov 12 2005, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

Jens Axboe wrote:

On Fri, Nov 11 2005, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

I have allocated 393,216 bio buffers I statically maintain in a chain and am running the dsfs file system with 3 x gigabit links fully saturated. meta-data
increases the write sizes to 720 MB/Second on dual 9500 controllers with 8 drives each (total of 16) 7200 RPM Drives. I am seeing some congestion and bursting on the bio chains as they are submitted.

16 disks on 2 controllers, I'm 100% sure they are lots of people
pushing 2.6 much further than that! I wouldn't evne call that a big
setup.

Probably not for this type of application.

DSFS dynamically generates html status files form within the file system. When the system gets somewhat behind, I am seeing bursts > 1 GB/Second which exceeds the theoretical limit of the bus. I have a timer function that runs every second and profiles the I/O throughput created by DSFS with bio submissions and captured packets. I am asking if there is clock skew at these data rates with use of the timer functions. The system appears to be sustaining 1GB/Second throughput on dual controllers. I have verified through data rates the system is sustaining 800 megabytes/second with these 1GB/S bursts. I am curious if there is potentially timer skew at these higher rates since I am having a hard time accepting that I can push 1GB/S through a bus rated at only 850 MB/S for DMA based transfers. The unit is accessible by

Note that the linux io stats accounting in 2.6.9 accounts queued io, not
io completions. So it's quite possible to have burst rates > bus speeds
for async io. 2.6.15-rc1 change this.

So you are willing to log into the unit and validate these numbers? I would like for an
someone other than me to validate I am seeing these rates.

If you average the bandwidth over a time long enough to eliminate the
bursty queueing rates, your average rage should drop to what the
hardware can actually do. Or dig out the patch from 2.6.15-rc1 for
ll_rw_blk.c and apply it to 2.6.9, find it here:

http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=d72d904a5367ad4ca3f2c9a2ce8c3a68f0b28bf0;hp=d83c671fb7023f69a9582e622d01525054f23b66

Jens,

Thanks. I'll dig out the patch. I am measuring the rates on the back end and they are running at 720-800 MB/S apart from what's being reported from
the bio submission. At any rate, I ave to say the bio performance is stunning in comparison to Windows 2003.

Jeff