High load levels - but not really

From: Marc Perkel
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 15:14:10 EST

I have a strange problem on one of my spam filter servers. Programs like top and xosview are showing very high load levels but I don't actually believe the load levels are all that high. Levels have run up as high as 250 but the computer is still very responsive, not really sluggish at all, memory usage is very low, and CPU on the xosview graphs look less that 50% busy.

It is an ASUS motherboard with a dual core Athlon X2 and nVidia chipset. I just installed 2.6.14.2 kernel to see if that would fix it and it didn't. The computer works fine except that the load it's reporting is 10x what I think it really is.

Anyone else seen this?