Re: [linux-dvb-maintainer] Re: [OOPS] Linux 2.6.14.2 and DVB USB

From: Patrick Boettcher
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 04:01:17 EST

Hi,

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Chris Rankin wrote:
This sounds contrary to the entire concept of hotplugging to me. And I don't think that a typical
desktop user would be happy to be told that s/he needs to become root and unload kernel modules
before s/he can unplug a USB device.

Unfortunately the dvb-core is currently not able to handle hotplugging while a dvb application is accessing a dvb-dev-node. This applies for every dvb-device, not only for dvb-usb devices, but no one ever tried to unplug a DVB PCI card while using it, yet.

Before unplugging a device, you can check if the module is removable to make sure that really no application is currently using it. (You will get "module in use" then).

We already thought about that problem and we think that dvbdev.c is the correct place to start implementing that, but I don't have enough knowledge (and time) to do that now, sorry.

regards,
Patrick.