Re: [linux-dvb-maintainer] Re: [OOPS] Linux 2.6.14.2 and DVB USB

From: Patrick Boettcher
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 10:47:10 EST

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
Unfortunately the dvb-core is currently not able to handle hotplugging
while a dvb application is accessing a dvb-dev-node. This applies
for every dvb-device, not only for dvb-usb devices, but no one ever tried
to unplug a DVB PCI card while using it, yet.

Before unplugging a device, you can check if the module is removable to
make sure that really no application is currently using it. (You will get
"module in use" then).

We already thought about that problem and we think that dvbdev.c is the
correct place to start implementing that, but I don't have enough
knowledge (and time) to do that now, sorry.

I thought someone sent a patch which fixes it for the cinergyT2
recently? Wouldn't the same approach work for dvb-usb?
(But I haven't had a chance to test the cinergyT2 patch yet.)

Once Deti Fliegl created that patch I had a look at it to figure out if it can easily be adapted to dvb-usb. This is was my answer:

http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2005-October/005333.html

After that mail I had some private mails with Deti, but he is currently too busy to adapt his mechanism to dvbdev.c and I'm too stupid.

The cinergy-driver handles the frontend in a different way and that's why it is possible to fix it like Deti does it.

If I could fix it in in dvb-usb, then it would be again only fixed for a small amount of devices. For DVB-PCMCIA-cards using the default fe-architecture will also cause Oopses like that, when unplugging while having the device in use. That's why, IMHO, the dvb-core should be made hotplug-safe, not a single driver. Even worse: it's not just the frontend-device-nodes, but also the demux-nodes (and I think the other onces too).

best regards,
Patrick.

--
Mail: patrick.boettcher@xxxxxxx