Re: Timer idea

From: George Anzinger
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 13:58:19 EST

evan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I was thinking about benchmarking, profiling, and various other applications
that might need frequent access to the current time. Polling timers or
frequent timer signal delivery both seem like there would be a lot of overhead.
I was thinking it would be nice if you could just read the time information
without making an OS call.

I figure the kernel keeps accurate records of current time information and the
values of various timers. I then had the idea that one could have a /dev or
maybe a /proc entry that would allow you to mmap() the kernel records (read
only) and then you could read this information right from the kernel without
any overhead.

Your are describing the vsyscall. John Stultz and company are actively working on this as we speak. If memory serves, it is already available on some platforms.

--
George Anzinger george@xxxxxxxxxx
HRT (High-res-timers): http://sourceforge.net/projects/high-res-timers/