Re: [Lhms-devel] Re: 2.6.14-mm2

From: Kamezawa Hiroyuki
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 11:02:24 EST

Dave Hansen wrote:

> Can you explain in a little bit more detail why this matters, and
> exactly how it fixes your problem. I'm not sure it's correct.

Ah, okay.

It's just because free_area[] is not initaialized at all if this is not called.
It is list.next and list.prev has bad value.
Then, the first free_page(page) will cause panic.

> Also, if you're doing hot-adds of _new_ zones at runtime, you need to do
> something fancy with the zonelist locking that I never got around to
> because nobody needs it yet. See something along these lines:

When node 0's higmem size is 0 at boot time, I have to add new page into empty zone.
This happens because my machine has only 700M mem.
I use mem=500M and hot add extra 200M memory for testing.

"Nobody needs " is sane in real world. But it's useful to my tiny test enveironment.

Could you spin out initializing free_area[] from
init_currently_empty_zone(zone, zone_start_pfn, size);
Then I'll be happy.

-- Kame