Re: overlapping resources for platform devices?

From: Kumar Gala
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 10:35:50 EST

On Nov 16, 2005, at 12:41 AM, Greg KH wrote:

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 05:31:57PM -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:
Guys,

I was wondering if there was any issue in changing platform_device_add to
use insert_resource instead of request_resource. The reason for this
change is to handle several cases where we have device registers that
overlap that two different drivers are handling.

The biggest case of this is with ethernet on a number of PowerPC based
systems where a subset of the ethernet controllers registers are used for
MDIO/PHY bus control. We currently hack around the limitation by having
the MDIO/PHY bus not actually register an memory resource region.

If the following looks good I'll send a more formal patch.

Looks good to me, but Russell knows this code much better than I.

thanks,

greg k-h

Russell, any issues?

- kumar