dma_is_consistent() is nonsensical...

From: Deepak Saxena
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 13:48:01 EST

Working on adding support for cache-coherent operation to ARM and
wondering exactly what this API is supposed to do. From the name it
is obviously supposed to tell the caller (only one in the kernel...
drivers/scsi/53c700.c) whether the provided dma_handle is cache-coherent
or not. In the case of multiple DMA domains where certain devices
are on snooping interfaces and others are not we really want to know what
device the DMA address is on so can we add a struct device* ptr to this
function? Or can we just kill it since nobody is actually using it?
Calling dma_alloc_coherent should always return coherent/consistent
(why the different naming conventions too?) so I don't really see a real
use case.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - dsaxena@xxxxxxxxxxx - http://www.plexity.net

"To question your government is not unpatriotic - to not question your
government is unpatriotic." - Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE) - Nov 15, 2005