2.6.14.2 Kernel Panic - Athlon X2 SATA NVidia Chipset

From: Marc Perkel
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 16:49:22 EST

I was attempting to do some upgrades last night and run into a bug again that I thought had been fixed but apparently hasn't. The kernel crashed and I got the same gargage in the screen about the sata_nv drivers. (Sorry I can't be more specific but it want a screen full of SATA relared errors and panic).

The current computer that was running is an Asus A8V Deluxe MB. Had IDE drives and doing great. When I tried switching to SATA drives it ran for about an hour and then crashed as stated above. Put the old IDE drive back in and doing fine again. Unlike before when I thought it was related to having 4 gigs of ram - this machine only had 3 gigs.

Additionally, tried to switch computers to a new machine I just built. The new computer has a Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 Motherboard. Again it's nVidia. Has 2 SATA drives in it and was working fine with a single core processor. I switched CPUs and put the dual core in and within minutes I got the same SATA related crash.

Whatever the problem is with nVidia and SATA and Athlon X2 processors - it is still not fixed. Anyone else seeing this? I'm not a programmer. What can I do to help?

--
Marc Perkel - marc@xxxxxxxxxx

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com