Re: X and intelfb fight over videomode

From: Antonino A. Daplas
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 15:33:50 EST

David Härdeman wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 09:08:26AM +0800, Antonino A. Daplas wrote:
>> David Härdeman wrote:
>>> First time I switch from X to VC:
>>> intelfb: Changing the video mode is not supported.
>>> intelfb: ring buffer : space: 6024 wanted 65472
>>> intelfb: lockup - turning off hardware acceleration
>>>

>> Well, intelfb is at the mercy of X if it's in 'fixed mode'.
>>
>>> Other suggestions?
>>
>> I'm adding Sylvain, the intelfb maintainer, to the CC list.
>>
>> How about this one? It also resets the ringbuffer before re-initializing
>> it again.
>
> That made no change at all unfortunately, the messages are exactly the
> same as before...

That's the limit to what I can do (I don't have the hardware) and let's just
wait for the maintainer to respond.

For now, you can eliminate that message by turning acceleration off.

video=intelfb:accel:0

Another solution is to disable direct rendering, but I don't think you want
that.

Tony

PS: I saw this problem before with i810fb, and this is because the i810 driver
of X and i810fb shared the same ringbuffer. But the i810 chipset has 2 ringbuffers,
so I just made i810fb use the ringbuffer that is not touched by X/DRI. (I don't
know the status now since I don't have this chipset anymore). That is one
solution.