Re: Does Linux support powering down SATA drives?

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 18:14:24 EST

On Saturday 19 November 2005 21:20, Marc Perkel wrote:
[snip]

> SATA isn't really "new" any more. I personally consider IDE to be
> obsolete. Seems to me that Linux should fully support SATA to the same
> level as IDE drives. And I'm saying that as someone who doesn't have to
> actually code it. But I will leave messages of praise and thanks in this
> mailing list if you all catch up.

As Alan mentions in another thread, what is needed is true hotplug support,
which is difficult with some controllers for which we have poor (or no)
documentation. I wouldn't hold your breath.

As for pass-thru standby/sleep commands, as long as the pass-thru patch got
into mainline, try a very recent version of hdparm which should understand
sending the ATA commands over SCSI (libata).

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.