Re: Christmas list for the kernel

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 16:15:17 EST

On 11/22/05, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 01:31:16PM -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> >
> > 4) Merge klibc and fix up the driver system so that everything is
> > hotplugable. This means no more need to configure drivers in the
> > kernel, the right drivers will just load automatically.
>
> What driver subsystem is not hotplugable and does not have automatically
> loaded modules today?

All of the legacy stuff - VGA, Vesafb, PS2, serial, parallel,
joystick, floppy, gameport, etc. Those drivers could be in initramfs
and only load if the hardware is found. Most of these legacy devices
have poor sysfs support too. Also, it's not just x86 legacy device all
of the platforms have them.

Currently you have to compile most of this stuff into the kernel.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx