Re: [RFC] Small PCI core patch

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 18:23:17 EST

> > Yes, but at _least_ with nVidia you get this free "nv" driver that they
> > maintain and that gives you basic mode setting & 2D accel... With the
> > newest ATI cards, you don't even get that.
> >
> > Ben.
>
> I use xorg's 'nv' driver. That one is _not_ from nVidia, it it?

It is, though maybe not "officially". It's developped by an nVidia
employee. That's also why it's totally obfuscated: there is not a single
register name in there, only a vast list of magic numbers & magic
values. Mark (the author) claims that he prefers that way and nobody
else is supposed to work on the driver but him ... I find those
arguments a bit bogus (people _do_ occasionally hack on this driver,
and/or use it for the kernel nvidiafb etc...) but heh.. he's the author
so he does what he wants.

Ben.