Re: Christmas list for the kernel

From: Pierre Ossman
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 10:19:53 EST

Russell King wrote:
On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 09:43:58AM -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
My system has:
2 serial

In /sys/bus/platform/devices I see this:
serial8250
shouldn't there be entries for all of the legacy devices?

In /dev
ttyS0
ttyS1
ttyS2
ttyS3

You're basically confused about serial ports. The kernel serial devices
whether or not hardware is found, to allow programs such as setserial to
function.

If you disagree with that, there'll be an equal number of people who
have serial cards that need setserial who will in turn disagree with
you.

But if no hardware is connected to those devices, then where does the driver route the setserial stuff?

We had a similar discussion regarding hal and the final solution was to check the uart type to determine if the port was there or not.

Rgds
Pierre